Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Hormone Changes - Baby Blues

You don't really hear much about this part and I have not posted on this yet so I thought I would write a little something.  First I must say I was on depression medication prior to getting pregnant and I had stopped all medication during my pregnancy.  So it was not shock to myself or Jerry how I had these bursts of crying episodes after getting home from the hospital.

On the way home I got emotional and wanted to go back to the hospital.  I had this feeling of great lose, even though I was looking at my bundle of joy I still felt as though I lost something.  I also missed my nurses and the comfort of our hospital room were everything was right there and we didn't have to worry about cooking or cleaning and if we needed something we just asked for it and it was brought to us.

That night after getting home I cried because I was missing the hospital and I didn't know if I could do this.  Also, I had not slept since the Thursday before I gave birth and it was now Monday the most sleep I had in the hospital was an hour here or there.  I was upset party because I was exhausted and I was worried about being able to take care of Annabelle and worried that she was not getting enough breast milk from me.

The days following Jerry had to see me break down and have a full blown crying fest several times.  I felt swollen to high heaven and I still felt very uncomfortable mostly from the swelling.  Later I found out I had got preeclampsia after giving birth and my BP was very high and even though swelling is normal mine was really bad.

Now 3 weeks after her birth I am feeling much better.  It took about 2 weeks for things to settle down with my BP and swelling and emotions.  I did make sure to get back on my meds. the first day I was home from the hospital and they are kicking in now.  Also, now that Annabelle is eating formula on top of nursing she is sleeping much more which is giving me a break and we are getting on a schedule.

If you are expecting be prepared with tissues at hand and to talk to your husband about what might happen so they are not freaked out when you are crying at the littlest thing.

1 comment:

  1. aww rachel, i'm sorry it was a tough first few weeks, but am so glad to hear that you're feeling better and that annabelle is sleeping.
    i've been thinking about you all.
    i hope you continue to feel better and are able to get some rest <3
    sending lots of love!
    xoxo
    maria

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!