Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Beach Baby!

Last week we took Annabelle on her first official vacation and first trip to the beach.  We went down to Myrtle Beach for 3 nights and thankfully my sister was able to come down and take a vacation with us.

Day 1 - It took us about 3.5hrs to get there and when we did we couldn't check in yet so we went to a local restaurant from some lunch/dinner at a place called "Mr. Fish."  While we ate we watched it pour like cats and dogs out.  The rain continued for a while and then it broke to leave clouds with a threat of rain.  The food at Mr. Fish was very good though I didn't care for my fish tacos because they were to spicy for my taste.  Jerry and Holly loved their food though.  Annabelle was very fussy as she had been stuck in the carseat for a good part of the day and had, had enough.

After eating we checked to see if we could now checking and sure enough we could so they gave us our room number over the phone as they had done all the other necessary paper work and given us keys during our first attempt to check in.

We went to Springmaid Beach Resort, our room was nice and had two beds, a small sitting area, two TVs one near the beds and one in the sitting area, a ocean view balcony, a full size fridge with a microwave and granite counter area (perfect for keeping Annabelle's cereal and formula handy).  The sink was outside the shower and toilet area (that shower/toilet area was cramped but manageable).

Being exhausted from the drive we didn't do much, I unpacked while Annabelle napped and Jerry and my sister went to pick up a few things we needed at the store. Once they got back and she woke up we took a quick walk around the property and the pier before calling it a night.

Day 2 -  Annabelle's first experience with the beach!  Jerry and I had this image in our head of her giggling and playing in the water and in the sand and her just loving it.  WRONG!!  After packing up our chairs, sun tent, umbrella, towels, camera, boogie board, and bag of food and bottles and good stuff we headed down to the beach.  After getting setup I sat with Annabelle for a few minutes, she was not a happy camper, she looked miserable. I took her down to the waters edge to put her toes in the sand and as soon as the water touched her toes she started crying.
Annabelle was not happy
After taking several pictures of her and trying to cheer her up we went and sat down with her in the shade.  She was still not happy at all.  After determining she was not going to be happy I said I would take her to the room.  Jerry and my sister said no to sit and relax that they would take her for a walk but when they returned she was still not happy.  So my sister and I took her to the room while Jerry watched our things on the beach.  I got her down for a nap and my sister stayed and watched her so I could go swimming.  Jerry and I both needed to relax a bit.

After about an hour we packed up and and Jerry and I took everything back to the room.  After that we agreed we need to get a beach mat and leave the chairs at home next time and just use the umbrella and her tent.  God that was a lot of stuff!

I really think her teeth were bothering her and she had a tiny temp because later on we gave her tylenol and oral gel and she was much better.

Day 3 - Take TWO on beach baby attempt.  We brought nothing but the camera, towels, a bag and her tent along with the boogie board.  Instead of taking her down to the waters edge we went to a location that had a warm tied pool for her to play in and she LOVED it.  Then we took to the water and let her get used to the waves and she still liked it.

Now that's our happy baby!


Our little family at the beach.

She was so excited!

She was still happy here she was just giving me a serious look.

She graduated to the waves.  This was all fun and games until Daddy mis judged a wave and she got it in the face.  She didn't let it bother her though.
Laughing it up with Auntie.

All tired out from having fun in the sun and she took a nap.


That night we had an AWESOME dinner at RIOZ
Then we took a walk on the pier her bib says "My Aunt is Hot and Single"

That's us!

That night Jerry and Holly went fishing on the pier and Annabelle and I went back to the room so she could sleep and I could rest and pack.  I wish we could of had one more day with our Happy Beach Baby at the beach but all good things must come to an end.  The next day Jerry and I took a walk on the beach after breakfast while Annabelle napped and collected shells for her scrapbook and then we hit the road.

What did we learn - There is no need to take a bunch of chairs to the beach when you have a baby to carry too.  Her sun tent I got on Amazon was very easy to put up and take down and it folded right back up into the bag.  Also, having a 3rd set of hands and eyes is VERY useful when it comes to vacationing with a 6 month old.

We had a nice time and I can't wait for our next vacation!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!